- The first thing that any ENT will tell you to avoid is salt. In a previous post I went through the reasons of a low sodium diet. Of course there isn’t total agreement that lowering your salt intake will help your Meniere’s disease. In my case it didn’t. Usually the lower salt intake will be combined with a diuretic.
- Another no-no is caffeine. Since caffeine is a stimulant it may make your meniere’s worse. The volume of tinnitus can increase due to caffeine. Also it can cause migraines which are common among Meniere’s patients. Chocolate can be put in this category too.
- I am not sure why but alcohol should be limited also.
- The nicotine in cigarettes restricts the blood vessels which decreases the blood supply to the inner ear making your symptoms worse.
- MSG in Chinese food is connected with fluid retention which isn’t what any MM patient needs.
- And remember when ever a doctor who isn’t you Meniere’s doctor prescribes a medication ask them if the new drug will have an adverse effect on the MM.
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Here are some of the things that should be avoided if you have MM. Even if you didn't have meniere's disease it would still be beneficial to avoid them.